Before LittleGirl ever even made her appearance, I had done all of my research and knew that cloth diapers weren’t for me. I don’t have the dedication or patience required to cloth diaper. I’m just not that crunchy. But I did find that making my own wipes was a great way to save money and know what exactly was in the wipes. And definitely, something I could see myself doing all the time. There are TONS of recipes out there so I made a couple of trial batches before she was born and settled on the following recipe.
I have a long-standing love affair with Viva paper towels. They are strong, thick and super soft! I still remember the first time RidiculousDad came over when we were dating and used one, he was super impressed and wanted to know what kind of “super fancy shenanigans is this?!” Needless to say, they make the best wipes.
So here’s the recipe, it’s so easy:
- 1 roll of Viva paper towels cut in half
- 4 cups boiled water (or you can use distilled water)
- 4 tablespoons of your favorite baby wash (I’m currently using Burts Bees Baby Shampoo & Wash)
- 2 tablespoons of oil (you can use olive oil, coconut oil, I’m using Burts Bees Baby Nourishing Oil because I happened to have it on hand.)
- 2 containers (thanks to my mom I’m using some awesome plastic coffee cans that fit the rolls perfectly)
Set your water to boil, and while that’s heating up cut your paper towels in half.
Stick half of the roll in each of your two containers.
Mix up the ingredients and pour half the solution over each roll of towels.
Let them set for a few minutes to cool/absorb the liquid, then pull out the cardboard tube from the middle. This allows you to pull up the wipes from the middle of the roll.
And there you have it, fancy smelling homemade wipes!